AA (Education and Religion)
Associate of Arts
GenesisU offers an Associate of Arts (with a Concentration in Education & Religion). The program also prepares students to continue on to a bachelor’s degree programs offered by Genesis or its academic partners.
Students who complete this program should be able to:
- Recognize the cognitive, social, emotional, linguistic and physical developmental pathways of the young child.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of collaboration with families and communities when working with children.
- Identify developmentally appropriate curriculum in subject matter areas (e.g., mathematics, literacy) and the arts.
- Recall instructional strategies that are developmentally, culturally, and linguistically appropriate given specific teaching and learning contexts.
- Distinguish between formal and informal assessments and determine the appropriate use of assessments to support teaching and learning.
- Construct developmentally appropriate learning environments that ensure children’s health, safety, and overall well-being.
- Understand the importance of ongoing professional development as teachers.
Education Core: (21 credits required)
· ECE 300 – Intro to Early Childhood Education Or EDU 330 Masterful Classroom Management
· ECE/EDU 301 – Child Development
· ECE/EDU 307 – Health, Safety & Nutrition
Select an additional 4 courses from the following:
· ECE 302 – Assessment
· ECE/EDU 303 – School, Family, and Community Collaboration
· ECE/EDU 304 – Exceptional Child
· ECE 305 – Developmentally Appropriate Curriculum
· ECE 306 – Early Childhood Curriculum
· ECE 315 – Mathematics in Early Childhood
· ECE 320 – Science in Early Childhood
· ECE/EDU 325 – Literacy Development
· ECE/EDU 335 – Creative Thinking & the Arts
· EDU 440 Managing the Environment
· EDU 330 Masterful Classroom Management
· EDU 335 Building Teacher-Student Relationships
· EDU 340 Masterful Lesson Planning
· Or other EDU or ECE listed courses