Bachelor of Arts in Education and Religion
GenesisU offers a Bachelor of Arts in Education & Religion. This BA offers the students the opportunity to build a concentration in Education. The sample program below focuses on the growth and development of children, ages birth though age eight, and the educational and care practices needed to support young children and their families.
This program does not necessarily lead to any specific State licensure.
Specific program objectives of the Education & Religion Program with a focus in Early Childhood are provided below.
Upon completion of the program, the graduate will:
- Recognize the cognitive, social, emotional, linguistic and physical developmental pathways of the young child.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of collaboration with families and communities when working with young children.
- Recognize play as instrumental to children’s social, emotional, physical, language, and cognitive development.
- Identify and select developmentally appropriate curriculum in subject matter areas (e.g., mathematics, literacy) and the arts.
- Select and implement instructional strategies that are developmentally, culturally, and linguistically appropriate given specific teaching and learning contexts.
- Distinguish between formal and informal assessments and determine the appropriate use of assessments to support teaching and learning in early childhood settings.
- Structure developmentally appropriate learning environments that ensure children’s health, safety, and overall well being.
- Understand the importance of ongoing professional development as teachers of the young child and childcare workers.
This degree requires 120 credits, with a minimum of 30 credits in General Education, and a minimum of 30 credits in the program content areas. A sample program of study for the degree is shown below:
Education Core: (21 credits required)
· ECE 300 – Intro to Early Childhood Education Or EDU 330 Masterful Classroom Management
· ECE/EDU 301 – Child Development
· ECE 302 – Assessment Or EDU 309 Assessment in Early and Special Education
· ECE/EDU 303 – School, Family, and Community Collaboration
· ECE/EDU 307 – Health, Safety & Nutrition
· ECE/EDU 325 – Literacy Development
Select additional courses from the following:
· ECE/EDU 304 – Exceptional Child
· ECE 305 – Developmentally Appropriate Curriculum
· ECE 306 – Early Childhood Curriculum
· ECE 315 – Mathematics in Early Childhood
· ECE 320 – Science in Early Childhood
· ECE/EDU 335 – Creative Thinking & the Arts
· EDU 440 Managing the Environment
· EDU 335 Building Teacher-Student Relationships
· EDU 340 Masterful Lesson Planning
· Or other EDU or ECE listed courses
Religion Core: (9 credits required)
Students will include 9 credits in Religious related courses.